Some homes are connected to a main city sewer system, while others are hooked up to a private septic tank on their property. If you fall into the latter category, then you know it’s important to perform septic maintenance in the summer in Prior Lake, MN. Without regular pumping, as well as other septic services and inspections, you run the risk of experiencing undesirable situations come the warmer season. Below are six tips to help you avoid problems with your septic system this summer:
- Choose landscape wisely: Because septic systems are installed in the ground and out of sight, you must be extremely careful about the plants you choose for landscaping the areas near your septic tank. Deep-rooted trees, shrubs and bushes should be kept away from your septic tank, because their root systems can break septic components by getting inside the pipes and continuing to grow. Consider smaller annual plants and flowers instead.
- Don’t drive over the tank: Summer is the time for serious yard maintenance. If you need to bring a supply truck or heavy machinery up on your lawn, be sure to mark where your septic tank, pipes and drain field are located so you don’t drive over any part of the septic system. Even though your septic system is underground, heavy equipment can cause expensive damage to it.
- Don’t build structures above the septic system: This summer, you might have your sights set on building a shed or pouring a patio somewhere in your yard. Similar to avoiding driving over your septic tank, don’t install new structures over it either. The weight of construction materials can crush the septic tank, connections or drain field.
- Know what items not to flush: Nothing except toilet paper and human waste should be flushed down septic systems. Between summer garden parties and large family dinners, chances are you will have guests who are not familiar with septic systems. Whether you’re inviting over the usual crowd or new friends, don’t hesitate to post a note of things to avoid flushing in the bathrooms. Here are some items to include on your list: paper towels, napkins, feminine hygiene products, condoms, disposable wipes, cigarette butts and plastic.
- Get summer party ready: If you enjoy hosting parties, then summer is your season! Before your party date rolls around, make sure your septic system is ready for more than normal use. If it’s been more than three years since your last pump service, get it pumped a week or so before your event. Do it early just in case other maintenance is needed or something goes awry during pumping service.
- Book a septic inspection: The warm season is the perfect time to schedule a professional septic system inspection. Try working with the same company on an ongoing basis, keep track of maintenance records, always keep an eye out for issues and don’t ignore the signs that you need to pump your septic tank.
Professional septic tank summer maintenance in Prior Lake, MN is important for the health of your septic system. Call Mike’s Septic & McKinley Sewer Services today to book an appointment!