Septic tanks are designed to perform reliably for decades, but septic systems won’t last long or work properly unless they are cared for and maintained. The right maintenance and care steps can make all the difference when it comes to the longevity, performance and efficiency of your system, so it’s worth it to invest in septic tank regular maintenance in Prior Lake, MN. Keep reading to learn more about the importance of regular septic tank maintenance and for some tips to help you effectively care for your septic system.
Tips for septic care and maintenance
All it takes is a few simple steps to keep your septic system functioning properly and minimize complications with your septic tank. Here are a few of the best things to do to keep your septic system in the best condition possible for years to come:
- Watch what goes down the drain: Putting harsh chemicals, cooking oils, grease, cotton products and garbage down your drains can quickly cause obstructions to develop in your septic system and create extensive drainage issues. Make sure that the only things going down your drains are water and toilet paper. Anything else has the potential to clog up drains and create plumbing obstructions that are costly and challenging to repair.
- Conserve water: Using too much water can put excessive stress on your system and contribute to increased wear and tear. Reduce water use by taking shorter showers, shutting sinks off while washing your hands or brushing your teeth and staggering the use of your appliances. These conservation steps allow you to protect your system while reducing water waste and lowering stress on your appliances.
- Clear away debris: Make sure the area above your septic system is cared for and kept clear of debris, overgrowth and any heavy equipment that could damage the system. Keeping the space above your system clear will improve its operation and extend its longevity.
- Invest in regular maintenance: Routine septic system maintenance is essential when it comes to preserving the lifespan of your system, minimizing damage and improving system efficiency. Hire a septic system technician for routine maintenance to clean your tank and inspect your system components for signs of wear, tear and damage that require repairs. Septic tank regular maintenance in Prior Lake, MN can save you a significant amount of money in the long run on premature system replacement and excessive system repairs.
- Consider water jetting: Water jetting services clear obstructions from your septic system and flush away any debris that could be blocking the flow of water through your pipes and septic lines. Many septic system technicians offer water jetting services as a form of routine maintenance. Ask your technician whether they offer this service and request water jetting the next time you have your system serviced.
Septic maintenance in Prior Lake, MN
For professional septic maintenance in Prior Lake, MN, reach out to Mike’s Septic & McKinley Sewer Services. Since 1956, our team has provided comprehensive septic services to customers throughout the area. As a family owned and operated company, we are committed to the quality of our services and the satisfaction of our customers. To get started with a maintenance appointment for your septic system, give our team a call.