Your home is either hooked into a main city sewer line or a private septic system. In the case of a sewer line, a large pipe is installed underground to carry wastewater from a home to the local water treatment facility. Once the wastewater reaches its destination, it is cleaned and filtered.
The key concern with sewer lines is the lack of visibility. While it’s best that pipes are not purposefully exposed above the ground, being covered under soil means they often get ignored. A small problem will likely grow to become a much bigger deal over time.
There are a number of issues that can arise from ignoring sewer line problems in Prior Lake, MN. If you want to avoid costly repairs to parts of the sewer or your property and belongings, then make sewer line issues your first priority. Here’s what can happen if sewer pipes get clogged and you do nothing about it:
- Sewer backups: When a sewer line clogs, the wastewater and flushed waste will have no way to drain out through the pipe running from your house to the water treatment facility—in other words, the water cannot drain properly. While waste may appear to go down a drain just fine, in the case of a clogged line, what’s happening is that the wastewater is traveling only partway through the system, not all the way through. So, each time someone flushes a toilet or uses the shower, the wastewater collects and will eventually flow back into your house, creating a terrible mess.
- Awful smells: With a sewer line backup comes a most dreadful sewage smell. You’ll smell the odor from wastewater backing up through drains, as well as awful sewage smells lingering in the indoor air. Not only is this stinky, it’s also unhealthy to breathe in particles dispersed by raw sewage.
- Yard floods: The longer a sewer line problem goes ignored, the worse things can get. Over time, the line can completely break apart. All the waste and wastewater trapped inside the pipe will flow into your yard, possibly flooding parts of the yard or the entire area.
- Home and property damage: The wastewater flowing from broken sewer lines can damage your concrete foundation and wooden support beams in walls or ceilings. The combination of busted lines and sewage backing up into your home can also damage or completely ruin your belongings.
- Pest problems: A cracked sewer line can cause excess moisture to attract unwanted pests. Worse yet, rodents, insects and other pests can get inside your house through damaged sewer lines leading to toilets and other drains. This can lead to a pest infestation.
- Expensive repairs: The longer you sit on sewer line repairs, the worse the problem will get and the more it may cost you to fix. If you suspect sewer trouble, contact a professional immediately.
Here at Mike’s Septic & McKinley Sewer Services, your sewer line problem is our first priority in Prior Lake, MN. A trained technician will come out to your home and perform a sewer line inspection and make repairs, if needed. Call us 24/7 for assistance!