Your septic tank should be pumped every three to five years, depending on your household’s demands. If you do not remember the last time you pumped your tank, or if you keep a schedule and know it is time, call Mike’s Septic & McKinley Sewer Services today. We can visit your property and finish your septic pumping in Prior Lake, MN before winter hits. Here are five reasons why summer is the best time to accomplish this important task:
- Demand: The combination of household visitors and greater water use can be very demanding on your septic system. Getting it pumped during the summer releases this pressure so you can rest assured that it is running well. The last thing you want to do is create memories of a septic failure rather than a good time on warm days. If you are using more water and having more summer parties, it is a good time to pump your tank and prevent incidents. Also, guests may not always make the best decisions as to what to flush, and mistakes are more easily forgiven with a pumped tank than a full one. Educate your guests, but also prepare your tank for likely ordeals.
- Weather: Pumping a tank when the temperature is cold and the ground is frozen is possible, but difficult. Labor costs increase, and the winter weather is harder on our equipment. If a winter storm keeps us from visiting you, the task is delayed. Summer is perfect since weather is not a barrier to us getting to you or accomplishing our work. Besides, you likely do not want to deal with a septic failure right before the holidays. Doing it now means peace of mind later during the busiest time of year.
- Landscaping: If you plan on new landscaping, pump your septic tank before you begin. Vulnerable new plants may be destroyed if you pump after you plant. This is especially true if you lay new grass seed near the tank or the drain field. You want your plants established before you challenge them with foot traffic, and arranging for your septic pumping first eliminates one danger to your new landscaping.
- Sprinklers: You likely run sprinklers more often in the summer. Pumping your tank allows the technician to detect whether the area around your tank is overwatered. Doing that leads to poor drainage that affects tank performance. After your tank is pumped, you can then decide whether to move sprinklers or water less frequently.
- Vacations: No one wants to return from a long break to discover their septic tank failed. Avoid this nightmare by investing in preventative maintenance, including septic tank pumping. Septic tanks are often out of sight, out of mind, and this is especially true when you are traveling more often.
Take advantage of the benefits of summer to keep up on septic tank maintenance. Mike’s Septic & McKinley Sewer Services is available for septic pumping in Prior Lake, MN and the surrounding area. Call us today to schedule an appointment.