When septic systems are cared for properly, they can provide decades of effective operation. Unfortunately, all systems eventually need to be replaced, and that can be a pretty significant expense for a homeowner or business owner. Even though you won’t be able to avoid replacement forever, you can certainly delay the inevitable by being conscious about how you use your system and how you address repair needs and keep up with septic pumping service in Prior Lake, MN. Make sure you understand the best ways to prolong the life of your system so that you can maximize its usefulness and save money in the long run:
- Understand your system: In order to properly care for your system, it’s important that you have some basic understanding of how it works. The more you know about your system, the easier it will be for you to spot problems and troubleshoot potential issues. It will also equip you to communicate concerns to a professional septic repair technician so that they can more effectively address the issue.
- Don’t delay service: Waiting too long to get septic service increases the likelihood that your system will develop problems. Even waiting a few days or weeks after discovering a problem can lead to a bigger issue that is more complicated and costly to address. If you notice a change in your system, like slow draining or gurgling, call a professional right away to get things checked out.
- Focus on accessibility: It’s a challenge to maintain a system that’s hard to get to. Keep the area around your septic tank and drain field clean so that it’s easy for a technician to access your system in the event that a repair is necessary.
- Watch your water use: Overusing water in your home or business can overload your system and cause septic backups. Make sure to go easy on your appliances by staggering washing machine and dishwasher cycles and avoiding excessively long showers or running your water continuously. You should also be mindful about how you use water in your garden or for your landscaping features.
- Follow a service schedule: It’s easy to forget about maintaining your septic system if you don’t follow a regular service schedule. Make sure to keep track of when your system was serviced and when it should be serviced again based on professional recommendations. If you can, schedule out your appointments with your service provider, and then simply mark down the dates for your next appointments on your calendar.
Prolonging the lifespan of your septic system starts with consistent maintenance, and the team at Mike’s Septic & McKinley Sewer Services is here to help. We are proud to be a locally owned and operated company with over 60 years of experience providing comprehensive septic and sewer services. From drain cleaning to septic pumping service in Prior Lake, MN, our team has you covered with everything you need to keep your system healthy for years to come. For more information, browse our website and then contact us by phone to set up an appointment.